What Makes Mold Damage Threatening for Raleigh Homes?
Call SERVPRO for mold remediation in Raleigh to make it "Like it never even happened."
Understanding the Impact of Mold Damage Shows How SERVPRO Helps Raleigh Properties.
Mold is a common threat to homes around the Triangle, especially during the warmer months, where rainfall and severe weather become a concern for the area. Under the appropriate conditions, microbial colonies can develop in as little as 48 to 72 hours, using organic matter and building materials as hosting materials and food sources for the growing organism. There are many catalysts responsible for moist environments in the house that lead to mold remediation needs, including:
- Water damage
- Elevated humidity
- Damp confined spaces
Types of Residential Mold
Homeowners may have an easier time choosing professional mold remediation and effective cleanup when they understand what they are dealing with on their property. There are hundreds or more types of internal mold threats a home might experience. Aspergillus, for example, is a type of mold often found in an air conditioning system. Cladosporium is the mold typically found in moist, dark spaces or on drywall behind toilets. Black mold, or Stachybotrys chartarum, is another possible development for Raleigh residences that requires swift mold removal.
Is Mold Dangerous?
Certain molds can produce byproducts that infiltrate the environment, but not all of them. A driving force for professional mold remediation should be the impact of these active organisms on installed building materials, contents, and other surfaces.
How Can SERVPRO Remediate Active Colonies?
Choosing the appropriate mold remediation strategy is contingent on the type of organism in the house, the affected areas, and the severity of the infestation. A thorough mold inspection allows our mold remediation team to create a custom recovery plan for the property. We begin with efforts like surface cleaning, but often more aggressive and abrasive cleaning tactics will be needed.
Are There Lingering Concerns After Mold Removal?
Often there are some lingering effects and concerns with treatment. While much of the mold remediation process can be handled rapidly through direct action by our SERVPRO IICRC certified technicians, there are other needs your home might have that can draw out the recovery process until they are resolved. Some include:
- Mold Malodors – Volatile organic compounds generate harsh malodors throughout the property, where mold becomes a concern. We have effective deodorization equipment available to neutralize these smells and promote a comfortable living condition for the residents.
- Mold Damage Repairs – There are times when your home may require some degree of damage repair after the treatment and removal of active colonies. Our team can help you quickly identify these areas to overcome this final step.
- Post-Damage Surface Treatment – We can treat nearby surfaces otherwise unaffected by spreading mold using mold inhibitors and antimicrobial products. The objective is to make these surfaces uninhabitable if moisture becomes a concern again in the immediate future.
Understanding how microbes impact a home or business can help property management seek out experienced mold remediation help when these problems arise. Allowing mold to go unchallenged lets the colonies spread, worsening the situation. Our SERVPRO of North Raleigh & Wake Forest team can help 24/7 when you call (919) 790-1222.
What Are the Stages of Water Damage Restoration for Raleigh Homes
SERVPRO has the training and equipment for water damage restoration at Raleigh properties.
Water damage restoration in Raleigh properties is complex, but individual steps fit into designed stages.
Between plumbing leaks and breaks or flood damages, the need for water damage restoration is a constant for Raleigh area homes and businesses. Structures in the Triangle can be quickly and thoroughly impacted by even minor water damage incidents, illustrating the need for experienced WRT-Certified professionals to reach the property fast to help. SERVPRO of North Raleigh & Wake Forest does more than say We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster.
Site Preparation and Pre-Job Action
Understanding the home's needs and the current damage is necessary before our damage restoration and water mitigation actions can begin in Raleigh. Production management of our SERVPRO team is a competent inspection officer cataloging damage and documenting the spread and severity of water damage events. This phase consists of:
- Damage Assessment – Documenting the impact of damage to the house and tracking moisture movement after a disaster helps guide our SERVPRO team to the most efficient water mitigation solutions that protect the property.
- Staging – Time and money are saved when we can reach needed equipment and products more easily and consistently. We can prevent cross-contamination through undamaged areas by establishing a transition room next to the damaged areas.
- Customer Consultation – Our priorities are not always the same as the homeowners, making a consultation a valuable aspect of the water damage restoration plan. We can use gathered information to prioritize what matters most to you.
Mitigation and Damage Prevention
Water mitigation describes the combination of actions SERVPRO professionals take to reduce loss and prevent post-disaster conditions from worsening. These needed efforts change based on the catalyst of the damage and how subsequent effects impede comfortable living. Some mitigative actions include:
- Water Removal Services – Removing surface water involves several industry-leading extraction devices available to SERVPRO restorers, including high-pressure pumps, trash pumps, electric submersible pumps, wet vacuums, and engine-driven extractors.
- Bulk Material Removal – Building materials can be quickly and overwhelmingly impacted by spraying or flowing water from plumbing damage. Structural collapse or degradation is often easy to spot and requires removal to restore the rest of the property.
- Content Relocation – SERVPRO professionals scope the property for unaffected areas that will remain clean and dry through the restoration process. These rooms and spaces become temporary storage to protect personal belongings in water restoration zones.
Drying and Moisture Management
Drying focuses on the most readily available resource in our recovery inventory, air movers. These units have a high-velocity output of warm, dry air that can help promote fast and thorough evaporative drying needs. As centrifugal and axial movers produce a higher humidity and moisture content level as surfaces dry, we must also pair this effect with desiccant and low-grain refrigerant dehumidifiers. The progress of evaporative drying tools is continually monitored for production values, and units are increased or moved to suit changing conditions and needs.
Restoring the Original Appearance
Pre-loss condition means achieving the appearance and functions of your property before the damage occurs. Beyond the water damage restoration required to remove threats, your home might still require reconstruction and repairs to achieve this pre-disaster state.
Because water damages remain a continual threat to Wake County properties, our SERVPRO of North Raleigh & Wake Forest team stays ready to help 24/7 with pre-stocked Green Fleet vehicles. Give us a call today at (919) 790-1222.
What Are the Tools Needed for Raleigh House Fire Damage Mitigation?
Call on SERVPRO for expertly trained technicians and thorough fire damage restoration.
From fire mitigation to soot removal, specific tools are essential to restoring Raleigh homes after a disaster.
Even with our expertise and extensive training to make us among the most knowledgeable fire restoration professionals in Wake County, we could not perform the needed fire and smoke damage cleaning without the appropriate tools and equipment from our inventory. With so many facets of smoke remediation and fire restoration, the list of needed tools is extensive.
Hand Tools and Small Powered Units
Smaller tools can directly impact emergency services and fire mitigation practices early in a Raleigh home. Situations like debris removal can have far-reaching impacts on the total fire damage restoration process. Non-powered hand tools can aid us in scooping and removing debris, soot, and ash. Other hand tools might help with other aspects of cleanup or controlled demolition, such as:
- Drywall saws
- Oscillating tools
- Wet/dry vacuums
Indoor Air Quality Tools
Indoor air quality (IAQ) is one of the main concerns of a fire damage restoration team working in a residence. Our SERVPRO professionals must be mindful of airborne contaminants and carcinogenic particles created during the partial combustion of several materials in the house. IAQ concerns create a volatile environment that slows the progress of other aspects of fire restoration. Hydroxyl generators are a common choice to resolve these threats, as the onboard HEPA filter traps particulates, and the unit also reduces the severity and presence of smoke malodors.
Soot Cleaning Equipment
One of the most challenging aspects of contending with soot and smoke soils during fire damage restoration is the varying compositions of the residue in question. Wet smoke damage, for example, create a thick and formidable soil deposit that dry solvents cannot clean. Several tools and products are needed to overcome soot deposits on surfaces to prevent the marring of the underlying substrate. These can include:
- Media/Dry Ice Blasting Equipment – Abrasive cleaning is sometimes needed when soot soils are formidable or penetrate porous materials. Blasting equipment puts media with high-pressure water or air to dislodge and remove set-in soot damage.
- Vacuums – Dry vacuums are a powerful tool to help pull loose soils and debris from a surface, leaving only the affixed soot damage on the surface for management with wet cleaning strategies.
- Dry Chemical Sponge – When thinner and more manageable soot residues exist, we can use rubber sponges that pull soot away from the surface. As the sponge becomes incapable of handling more soot soils, the rubber crumbles off for continued cleaning with a new surface.
Harsh and offensive odors are common traits in post-fire environments. The combustion of plastics and fuels can create overwhelming smells to accompany smoke and soot particles. These smells are among the final restoration aspects to address. They are partially removed by the time for deodorization with counteractant products and surface cleaning to remove soot and smoke residues in affected areas. When complete odor neutralization is needed, our tools to help in this endeavor include:
- ULV foggers
- Air filtration tools
- Hydroxyl machines
Having the right products and equipment makes a considerable difference in the efficiency and efficacy of fire damage restoration. Our SERVPRO of North Raleigh & Wake Forest team works to mitigate loss quickly using modern equipment and approaches that provide the shortest path to preloss conditions. When you call our team we can make it "Like it never even happened." (919) 790-1222.
Need Fast Turnaround from Mold Removal Companies?
SERVPRO technicians know how to help with mold damage in your home. Contact us 24/7 to begin the remediation and mitigation process.
Restoration Technicians Remove Mold from Wake Forest Homes
Wake Forest, North Carolina, is home to one of the fastest-growing communities in the United States, with the population increasing from 30,000 in 2010 to over 45,000 as of 2019. This locale is considered part of the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill statistical area, which houses almost 2 million residents.
This bustling town, incorporated in 1880, is also home to several places listed on the National Register for Historic Places, including:
- The DuBois Center, formerly the W.E.B DuBois School
- Lea Laboratory
- Wakefield Dairy Complex
- Glen Royall Mill Village Historic District
- The Calvin Jones Historical House, also known as the Wake Forest Historical Museum
Education in Wake Forest: 1834-Present
Wake Forest’s early years as a community are filled with the establishment of schools, colleges, and universities, including the Wake Forest University located at the Reynolda Campus in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
Here is a brief look at Wake Forest’s earliest educational accolades:
- In 1832, the North Carolina Committee on Education procured Dr. Calvin Jones’ 600-acre plantation with the intent to build the Wake Forest Institute, a Baptist college focused on providing affordable education and expanding youth access to knowledge about agriculture and science
- Wake Forest was home to two primary literary societies in the mid-1830s: the Euzelians and the Philomathesians. These two groups trained members in forensics, diplomacy, and literacy
- The Wake Forest Manual Labor Institute initially focused on teaching agricultural science to students. Attendees were required to perform three hours of manual labor per day in exchange for an education. This arrangement proved beneficial for both the school and the students in that tuition costs remained low while the university could expand. This institute was rechartered as the Wake Forest College in 1838
Wake Forest College’s first graduating class received their diplomas in 1839, with William Tell Brooks being among the first to receive his degree. More infrastructure was built around the college, including the College Hotel in 1850. During the Civil War, the college was closed.
How Does SERVPRO Availability Preserve Wake Forest Homes?
SERVPRO teams offer round-the-clock availability, which includes late nights, weekends, and holidays. As a result, when Wake Forest homeowners need mold removal companies, they can get necessary services more quickly. This commitment to continuous service can minimize damage to residents’ property, which can lower repair and replacement costs.
Why does mold damage require a fast response?
- Mold means moisture is present. Mold proliferation indicates the presence of water damage or some other moisture source on your property
- Mold damages possessions over time. Mold requires moisture, adequate temperatures, and organic material to sustain itself, and SERVPRO techs can eliminate this with EPA-registered biocides
- Mold affects indoor air quality. Not only is mold unpleasant to smell, but it can spread through your home’s HVAC system. SERVPRO teams are trained to clean and service home ventilation to remediate microbial growth
SERVPRO of North Raleigh & Wake Forest offers a fast-responding service among mold removal companies for homeowners who call (919) 790-1222.
Who Can Help with Fire Damage Restoration in Raleigh Homes after an Electrical Fire?
If your home suffers from an electrical fire, contact SERVPRO to remediate the damage. Our certified professionals are available 24/7.
Raleigh Area Homeowners Contact SERVPRO for House Fire Cleanup
Watching your house contents being engulfed by flames and your family put at risk, can be frightening. However, SERVPRO professionals have decades of experience in the restoration industry. Our technicians can stop further fire damage, salvage most of your valuable items, and get your property to its preloss state.
What precautions should I take?
Before you get into the affected property, wait for the local authorities to deem your property safe for re-entry. Contact our franchise within 48 hours to help with any size of fire damage in your Raleigh home. If you have to get into the property, try to avoid:
- Getting into the property before the relevant authorities declare it safe
- Surfaces with soot and smoke residues to minimize spreading
- Trying to restore the affected area
What are the first steps for fire damage mitigation?
Before we begin the restoration process, we inspect the affected area thoroughly to get a clear picture of the damage intensity. Our team of technicians can use pre-testing of upholstery, fabrics, and porous materials to ensure application of the correct cleaning products.
Can restorers clean valuables with soot?
We ensure to clean and repair our customer’s contents in our off-site warehouse. Our experts can use the immersion technique for delicate items using the ultrasonic cleaner to remove soot and smoke residues. The cleaning technique uses sound waves to form and implode bubbles. The collapsing bubbles produce energy and water movement, which eliminates the soot residues on the items.
With our innovative skills and state-of-the-art equipment, fire damage restoration should be hassle-free. Contact SERVPRO of North Raleigh & Wake Forest can bring your home back to life, “Like it never even happened.” Talk to us today at (919) 790-1222.
Extraction During Commercial Water Mitigation in Raleigh
We know how inconvenient a broken pipe can be to your office. Call SERVPRO 24/7 for quick and effective remediation services.
SERVPRO Helps with Water Mitigation in Raleigh
Everyone at one point in life has probably suffered from a water line breaking or some type of leak inside their building. However, the damage could disrupt your workflow when it happens inside your company's office. The bad news is that it seems like a water leak always takes place overnight while nobody is in the office. If a leak goes unnoticed all night long, the issues when you come into your office to work in the morning could be quite severe.
Whenever our SERVPRO technicians work on commercial water mitigation in Raleigh, we start by figuring out where the moisture went and how severe the damage is. When water leaks out of your lines, it begins as a liquid, follows gravity, and heads straight to your floors. But when liquid H2O sits inside your office for a long time, it can start to soak into your contents and building materials and evaporate into the air, which can cause more issues to arise.
Whenever we work on restoring a severe water damage situation, we know that it is easier to remove the moisture while it is still in liquid form. If there are more than a few inches of standing water on your office's floors, then we can use a submersible pump to suck the water up and pump it into one of your sewage lines. We can use a weighted extraction tool to extract thick carpets that use the operator's weight to squeeze the fibers. We can also use a wand for hard surface floors and a handheld tool for contents like upholstered furniture items.
Other ways we can help your business after a water leak
If you ever go to work one day and find standing water in your office, call SERVPRO of North Raleigh & Wake Forest at (919) 790-1222.
When is Wet Cleaning Preferred for Smoke Residues in Raleigh Homes?
You can count on our team to remove any trace of fire and smoke damage on your home. Just call SERVPRO at (919) 790-1222.
Smoke Damage Can Affect Surfaces and Contents Throughout Your Property, Requiring Several Cleaning Approaches.
Smoke and soot residues that impact Raleigh homes require special cleaning and restoration practices to remove. Without a single universal approach for this cleaning, several factors play a role in which wet cleaning methods are ideal for removing these soils.
Wet cleaning is often one of the most efficient methods of contending with fire damage in Raleigh homes. Though pre-sampling cleaning approaches are ideal for ensuring the success of proposed techniques and products, our SERVPRO team utilizes our knowledge of the soil type and underlying material to choose among several wet cleaning tactics, such as:
- Dissolving – Allowing detergents and solvents to break down soils on the surface is the basis for how dissolving works. With this approach, soils require a product with a similar composition to work.
- Emulsification – Unlike dissolving, emulsifying involves using the opposite type of base cleaner to repel particles from the surface. Loosened soils can get rinsed or blown off.
- Alkaline Cleaners – Because so many particles are acidic, much like most soot and smoke residues, seeking a pH balance can increase the probability of efficient cleaning.
Are Other Cleaning and Restoration Strategies Efficient?
Dry cleaning approaches often work on the premise of agitation and reducing the thickness of surface soiling. Vacuuming can often be an efficient base approach to begin these cleaning methods, but these practices are often less efficient and thorough as wet cleaning strategies with solvents and detergents.
Regardless of the approach used to restore and recover damaged structural elements and contents in your home after a fire, it is always a priority to restore over replacement. Our SERVPRO of North Raleigh & Wake Forest team has extensive experience and industry-leading equipment to help after a fire. Give us a call at (919) 790-1222.
Does a Homeowner Need Professional Flood Damage Assistance for a Few Inches of Water in the Basement Post-Storm?
Storm flooding can quickly cause water damage. Contact SERVPRO for water removal and remediation services.
Significant Safety Hazards Present After Storm-Related Flood Damage in Raleigh Can Hide - Your Local SERVPRO Knows Where to Look and How to Keep Your Family and Home Secure.
With great relief, you believe the damage to your Raleigh home after recent storm damage is minimal. Just a slick of water spread across the floors of your lowest levels, and you notice little exterior damage. Is it enough to haul out the wet/dry vacuum and open some windows to get your home back to pre-storm condition?
Can Storm and Flood Damage Hide in Your House?
When the media features storm-related flood damage in Raleigh, the pictures and videos often feature downed trees, branches, and utility lines crushing roofs, windows, doors, and siding. Reporters stand in knee-deep floodwater while sharing real-time information. However, water intrudes even in structures that appear unaffected, and failure to locate and manage that damage can cause severe, although hidden, deterioration and secondary damage. It also presents safety risks as the structures affected can collapse, fail to handle intended load-bearing, and provide an environment conducive to mold.
How Do Professionals Find Trapped Flood Water After a Storm?
Regardless of a homeowner's hopes, SERVPRO managers and crew leads know how stealthy stormwater can be once it enters a home. A loose flashing or row of shingles loosened and blown up during fierce winds and heavy rain can allow gallons of water to intrude. Once inside the house, it migrates downward, often between walls. When encountering a ceiling, it pools; when stopped by nonporous building materials, it seeks dry, permeable components, perhaps wicking upwards from the base of a wall into the gypsum board. If the water is there, we must extract it and dry out the structure. Our storm and flood damage experience plus the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) training completed help us anticipate likely migration routes, but we also use:
- Visual signals like bulging ceilings, bubbling paint, or staining
- Thermal imaging cameras utilizing temperature variations interpreted by trained technicians to locate water cached in cavities
- Moisture detectors and meters that find and then measure the amount of moisture soaked into surfaces and fixtures like carpets
Trust SERVPRO of North Raleigh & Wake Forest to assess your flood-damaged home with integrity and honestly advise you on the best practices needed to make it "Like it never even happened." Our lines at (919) 790-1222 answer 24/7 for any concerns.
Professional Water Removal Tools Make a Difference in Raleigh
You can count on our professionals with state of the art equipment to thoroughly dry your property so you can return safely after a water incident.
SERVPRO Offers Water Removal Services for Raleigh Homeowners and Businesses
Nothing compares to professional equipment when you have standing water in your Raleigh home or business. If you have storm flooding, burst pipes, or a significant spill, you need to handle the standing water quickly before it can infiltrate your building materials or migrate into dry zones of your property. SERVPRO is here and ready to go 24/7 with all of the right tools to handle water removal and drying so that your property gets back to normal quickly.
Regarding water removal in Raleigh, SERVPRO utilizes different equipment based on the project and the damage present. We bring everything with us on our Green Fleet of vehicles, including tools like inspection devices, extraction tools, cleaning agents, and drying equipment. Everything gets used as part of a carefully orchestrated plan to restore relative humidity (RH) and limit the damage that takes place.
Extraction Methods and Equipment You Can Count On
The more water we can pull up in a short time will increase your property's chances of successful restoration. While you may want to reach for a wet/dry vacuum to pull up water, nothing compares to the technology SERVPRO uses. Some of the equipment we may use on your project include:
- Extraction Units – We have larger truck-mounted extractors and portable units to pull up water depending on the levels and space we have to work in.
- Light Wands – Also known as carpet wands, these tools help us remove water from glued-down carpeting.
- Pumps – We have a variety of pumps that we may use, including submersible pumps, self-priming trash pumps, electric submersible pumps, high-pressure pumps, etc.
Nothing beats our proven processes and industrial-grade equipment at SERVPRO of North Raleigh & Wake Forest when it comes to water removal. Call us whenever you require assistance at (919) 790-1222. We're Faster To Any Size Disaster – ensuring your property quickly returns to normal.
What Does Surface Mold Removal Mean for Raleigh Homes?
Finding mold in a corner of your home can signal a more widespread infestation. Call SERVPRO to assess the extent and offer solutions to remediate.
Surface Treatment Is a Popular Mold Remediation Method in Raleigh Properties
One of the reasons that mold is so widespread and destructive to many properties is that homeowners do not approach it with the same urgency as other disasters. Without prompt addressing of the problem, organisms spread more completely into hosting materials and cause a greater need for aggressive remediation methods. Early approaches allow options like surface cleaning to be productive in remediating active mold damage.
How Deep Is the Mold Damage?
The first question in resolving mold damage for Raleigh homes and businesses is how widespread and penetrative the mold infestation has become. Hosting materials can be overwhelmed to require replacement after several days or weeks of exposure. A thorough inspection of the impacted surfaces shows where superficial cleaning and sporicidal products can still be effective.
Surface treatment solutions rely on sporicidal and biocide products in our inventory to destroy mold spores on contact. Infestations are eliminated with antimicrobial solutions, and these same chemicals work as mold inhibitors for nearby services that have yet to show signs of active mold colonization.
Are More Aggressive Remediation Measures Needed?
Surface treatment solutions are not the only option available to our remediation technicians working on the property. There are multiple instances where more aggressive and abrasive cleaning measures are necessary to overcome the full spread and severity of the organism and the hosting material. Some of these tactics include:
- Sponge Pressure Cleaning
- Soda Blasting
- Controlled Demolition
Our professionals work to introduce the least invasive mold removal tactics when cleaning up mold damage in your home. Surface treatment solutions offer the most direct path to addressing the earliest onset of microbial development, and we have multiple products that can provide this type of remediation. Give our SERVPRO of North Raleigh & Wake Forest team a call when you suspect mold growth at (919) 790-1222.